Travelers enjoy a variety of dining and retail options when visiting The Shops of RDU, but now there’s even more to celebrate: RDU’s Whisky River and Root & Branch earned top accolades from USA Today 10Best 2019 Readers’ Choice Airport Awards. 10Best partners each year with Airport Experience News to recognize North America’s best airports and concessions.
USA Today readers voted Whisky River, located in Terminal 2, first place among North American peers in two categories: Best Airport Bar and Best Airport Bar/Restaurant Atmosphere. NASCAR driver and North Carolina native Dale Earnhardt, Jr., partnered with HMSHost to create the popular eatery – complete with live music and a mechanical bull.
RDU’s Root & Branch, also found in Terminal 2, finished first in voting for 10Best’s Best Airport Shop for Local Merchandise category. Root & Branch features items from more than twenty local artisans and businesses, alongside other regional and national brands.
“RDU’s Vision 2040 master plan includes a focus on concessions and other campus-wide improvements to enhance visitors’ travel experience,” Airport Authority Chief Revenue Officer David Freedman said. “Travelers are letting the secret out about the great, regionally-inspired options at The Shops of RDU.”
Raleigh-Durham International Airport took home additional recognition at Airport Experience News’ annual Airport Experience Conference, held Feb. 27 in Las Vegas:
- Best Local-Inspired Store: Root & Branch by Marshall Retail Group
- Best Overall Restaurateur, Large: SSP America
- Best Overall Retailer, Large: Paradies Lagardère
- Best Travel Convenience Retailer, Large: Hudson Group
- Best Customer Service, Restaurateurs, Large: HMSHost
- Best Customer Service, Retailers, Large: InMotion
- Best Customer Service, Retailers, Small: Marshall Retail Group