RDU Media Guide
The Raleigh-Durham Airport Authority’s Office of Communications and Community Affairs is here to help you cover your story about Raleigh-Durham International Airport.
The Raleigh-Durham Airport Authority’s 24-Hour media phone number is (919) 840-7070. When possible, Airport Authority staff will make every attempt to respond within 30 minutes to calls made between the hours of 6 a.m. and 11 p.m. each day, including weekends and holidays. Calls received outside of this timeframe will generally be returned the next business day. A response may be a recorded message.
Media covering stories at RDU are requested to contact us as a courtesy prior to arrival. Please notify us via e-mail at email@example.com.
During emergency situations, please contact the Raleigh-Durham Airport Authority’s 24-Hour Media phone number (919) 840-7070 for event updates and to request information.
For updates on winter weather or tropical weather impacts, please check rdu.com/weather. The most accurate information will be posted on that page.
If an emergency situation occurs at RDU, the Airport Authority will experience a high volume of media inquiries. To ensure you receive the most accurate information:
- Be sure to check for a recorded statement on the Raleigh-Durham Airport Authority’s 24-Media Phone Number (919) 840-7070.
- Follow the airport’s Twitter account: @RDUAirport
- E-mail a request to be added to the media relations distribution list at firstname.lastname@example.org
- If the need for a media briefing arises, the Airport Authority will share media briefing information via Twitter at @RDUAirport
During emergencies, media calls will be returned individually as staff are able.
Please note, the Airport Authority does not consider the following items as after-hours emergencies:
- Flight status information requests, including for weather updates.
- Routine airport radio traffic
- Medical call reports
- Reports of aircraft flying low or in unusual patterns
- Trucks must be attended at all times. Unattended trucks are subject to immediate ticketing and towing.
- Trucks at Terminal 1 may only park at the end of the commercial vehicle curb AFTER the canopy structure.
- Trucks at Terminal 2 may only park on the upper level PRIOR to the canopy.
Repeated violations of unattended satellite trucks on the terminal curbs may result in the revocation of curbside parking privileges for that media outlet.
RDU’s Cell Phone Lot and Observation Park are alternative media coverage areas for media outlets not able to attend a satellite truck.
While at the Airport
Media outlets are permitted in all publically accessible areas of the airport. The terminal concourses require a boarding pass for access through the TSA security checkpoint.
Media covering stories on airport property must visibly display media credentials at all times while at RDU.
Restaurants, shops and some airline operating spaces (including the spaces immediately adjacent to ticket counters) are private leaseholds. Permission must be obtained from those entities before filming inside spaces leased by third-parties.
Interior live shots are permitted with wireless technology. Cords may not be used inside buildings. Do not block egress or walking paths.