RDU Airport, N.C. – We’re grabbing our toboggans and cranking up the snow plows at Raleigh-Durham International Airport as we prepare for winter weather this weekend. To ensure minimal disruptions to airport operations, the Team RDU is taking the following steps:
The airport will post status and operational updates throughout the weekend at www.rdu.com/weather and on Twitter at @RDUAirport.
Steps we are taking to prepare:
- Mobilizing airport and contract employees to work 12 hour shifts in snow removal, law enforcement, fire-rescue, operations, guest services, parking and ground transportation as well as other key functions necessary to ensure operations (toboggans optional).
- Snow removal crews (aka snow warriors) will be working throughout the weekend to clear runways and taxiways, with the goal of having one runway operational at all times to the greatest extent possible.
- Crews will clear airport roadways, parking lots and sidewalks throughout the storm and respond to slick spots.
- Reviewing winter weather plans and working with airlines, concessions and other business partners to ensure maximum passenger care at all times.
- Close coordination with the National Weather Service in Raleigh regarding forecasts as the airport is a National Weather Service Storm Ready Community.
Flying from RDU this weekend? Keep following in mind:
- Check the status of your flight with your airline before heading to the airport. Airline schedules may change quickly depending on conditions.
- Allow plenty of extra time to travel to the airport as area roadways are likely to be affected.
- Stay out of the snow and enjoy covered parking in the ParkRDU Premier and Central lots.