The summer travel season is the busiest time of year at RDU, and a record-setting number of passengers are expected to fly through the airport over the next few months. Traffic in March increased 23% over last year thanks to a boost from spring break getaways, and summer vacations are just around the corner. RDU is getting ready for the rush by hiring more ambassadors to help travelers in the terminals, expanding technology to reduce wait times at security checkpoints and working with our airline and TSA partners to anticipate staffing needs. You can be prepared too by following these simple steps:
- Download your airline’s mobile app: you’ll get important information like flight status, boarding times, and gate numbers. You can also manage your reservation and check in on the app.
- Keep an eye on the weather: follow the forecast in your departing city and your destination to find out if weather may affect your travel plans.
- Check your travel documents: long before you head to the airport, confirm that your passport and other IDs like your driver’s license haven’t expired.
- Read your airline’s baggage policy before you pack: make sure your carry-on bag will fit before you bring it on board. This is another handy use for the airline app.
- Remember TSA’s 3-1-1 rule: travelers can take a total of three small containers (3.4 oz or less) of liquids, gels, aerosols, creams and/or pastes through the security checkpoint, as long as they’re packed in one quart-sized bag. Any liquids over that size should be packed in your checked luggage.
- Consider signing up for TSA PreCheck and/or CLEAR’s biometrics ID program: think about enrolling in these time-saving services for a faster and smoother experience at the security checkpoint. You can learn more online at TSA’s PreCheck page and on CLEAR’s website.
- Give yourself plenty of time: arrive two hours early for domestic flights and three hours early for international flights to allow time for navigating traffic, parking, checking in and getting through security. Start your trip off right by getting to your gate on time before you’re whisked away for your summer adventure.