RDU Frequently Asked Questions
Find answers to your questions in the following areas about traveling through Raleigh-Durham International Airport:
- Terminal Information
- Lost and Found
- Hours of Operation
- Ground Transportation
- Where are the TTY services located in the Terminals?
Learn more about TTYs at RDU.
- Does RDU have Automatic External Defibrillators (AEDs)?
RDU has AED Units located throughout both Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. AEDs are housed in cabinets, that when opened, trigger an automatic dispatch of emergency first responders as well as cause the activation of a strobe and alarm on the cabinet.
- Where can I exchange my foreign currency?
Travelex Worldwide Money offices are located in Terminal 2 on the ticketing and bag claim levels.
- Where is there a U.S. Post Office mailbox at RDU?
There is a U.S. postal mailbox outside of Terminal 2 on the curb outside bag claim. Alternately, you may purchase stamps at 2nd Edition Booksellers (beyond the security checkpoint). Shop staff will place items in the mail for you.
- Where can I smoke at the airport?
RDU is a smoke-free airport. Smoking is prohibited in all public areas, which includes all restaurants and bars. Designated smoking locations are located and marked with signs outside the terminals. You can located the designated smoking areas on the Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 directories by the symbol.
What are the procedures at the security checkpoing?
Learn more about navigating the security checkpoint at RDU.
What if I forget I have a prohibited item until I’m at the security checkpoint?
Airport Mailers, a self-serve packaging kiosk is located at both checkpoints and allows you to mail items from the checkpoint area to your final destination or home.
Does RDU participate in the Global Entry or TSA Pre-trusted traveler programs?
RDU is a location for both TSA Pre✓™ and the U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s Global Entry trusted traveler program.
UES Application Center
10911 Raven Ridge Road, Ste. 103
Raleigh, NC 27614-8363
Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursday, Fridays 9:30 a.m.-Noon and 1:30-4:30 p.m.
Wednesdays 1:30-4:30 p.m.
Appointments are highly recommended. Learn more.
Who do I contact regarding airport security and screening complaints?
The federal Transportation Security Administration oversees the security checkpoint and screening procedures.Transportation Security Administration
Phone: (866) 289-9673
Fax: (202) 493-1225
Send Letters to:
TSA Consumer Response Center
Room 3013 GSA Building
400 Seventh St. S.W.
Washington, DC 20590
- What are the rules for traveling with pets?
View tips for traveling with pets at RDU.
- Where is the cheapest lot for me to park?
Park and Ride Lots 3 and 4 are $6 per 24 hours.
- Can I park my motor home at the airport parking lot while we travel?
Yes, if space is available in one of the lots. Contact the Parking Office for details.
Lost and Found
- Who do I contact about an item lost in the terminals?
Lost and Found items are managed by the RDU Police Department. Learn more about Lost and Found at RDU.
Hours of Operation
- What time does the airport open?
The airport is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- What time do the ticket counters open?
Most ticket counters open at about 4:30 a.m. Contact your airline for specific operating schedules.
- What time do the security checkpoints open?
The security checkpoint opens at 4 a.m. in both terminals. Learn about navigating security at RDU.
- How much time should I allow myself to make my flight?
Please allow two hours for parking, airline check-in and security screening.
- When do the shops at RDU open?
Many of The Shops of RDU are open 6 a.m. – 8 p.m. The Starbucks located pre-security in Terminal 2 is open 24/7, 365 days per year. Explore the Shops of RDU to learn more.
- What are the hours of the meditation room?
The RDU Meditation Room is located in the Terminal 2 Ticketing Lobby. It is open 24/7, 365 days per year.
- What hotels are located near the airport?
View a list of hotels permitted to pick-up and drop-off passengers at RDU.
- What time do the shuttles operate from the parking lots?
See our Park and Ride Page for details.
- Who provides ground transportation to and from the airport?
Many companies are permitted to provide transportation to and from RDU. Learn more about Ground Transportation at RDU.
- How do I get a taxi at RDU and what times are they available?
RDU Taxi is the only authorized taxi service from RDU. Taxis are available on the terminal curbs for all arriving flights, or you can make a reservation by calling (919) 840-7277.
- What time do RDU’s restaurants open?
Locations offering breakfast open between 4:30 – 6 a.m. while others open between 9 – 10:30 a.m. Explore the restaurants of the Shops of RDU.
- Where can I get a newspaper at RDU?
Newspapers are available at retail stores in Terminal 1 and Terminal 2, as well as at coin-operated racks in both terminals.
- What food is available pre-security?
There are two pre-security restaurants in Terminal 2: Starbucks and Panopolis. A pre-security Starbucks is open in Terminal 1.