Volunteer at RDU
Volunteer ambassadors provide passenger assistance and answer questions from those traveling through Raleigh-Durham International Airport. Identified by red vests, RDU volunteers can be found throughout the airport working side by side with staff serving our customers.
Established in 1997, the Volunteer Ambassadors Program has contributed more than 100,000 hours to RDU customers.
Become a RDU Volunteer Ambassador
RDU volunteer ambassadors should be able to:
- Work well with people
- Assist others
- Possess good communication skills
- Be reliable and committed
- Meet the demands of working in a dynamic and spacious airport environment
Volunteers may be responsible for:
- Responding to inquiries for flight information and assistance
- Providing directions to and from the airport to local tourist attractions and landmarks
- Providing information on accessing airport services and navigating the terminals and airport grounds
- Answering questions on transportation, hotel, dining and shopping options
- Passing along customer comments
Providing exceptional customer service is an integral part of RDU’s vision. Each volunteer is required to complete an orientation session that covers:
- Airline information
- Passenger support services
- Airport facility information and emergency procedures
- Local area information
The airport is open seven days a week, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, regardless of weather conditions. RDU’s information desks operate from 5:30 a.m. to midnight every day. Volunteers are asked to donate at least one four-hour shift per week.
RDU volunteer benefits include:
- Discounts on airport gift or food items
- Free parking in the employee parking lot
- Special recognition functions and service awards
- Door-to-door accidental injury insurance coverage
Join RDU’s Team of Ambassadors
Becoming a RDU volunteer ambassador is a rewarding experience. If you have an interest in helping others and in becoming a part of the airport community, please express your interest via email or call (919) 840-7425.
Individual volunteer applications are available for downloading.
Please send completed and signed applications to:
Volunteer Ambassador Program
RDU International Airport
Attn. Carmen Watson, Volunteer Coordinator
P.O. Box 80001
RDU Airport, NC 27623
There are also opportunities to volunteer at the USO located at RDU. For USO volunteer information, contact: (919) 840-0941