May 2, 2013: Work is progressing on Terminal 1 at a fast pace. This photo, from May 2, shows crews installing the new exterior of the building over colorful insulation.
Terminal 1 Modernization Project
Work is underway to modernize Terminal 1 for the way you travel. Our $68 million project will dramatically change the central portion of Terminal 1 and will elevate your travel experience at RDU.
View the layout of Terminal 1 today, during construction.
The “new” space will be the home of Southwest Airlines at RDU and will provide space for future growth and additional carriers. When work is complete in early 2014, you can expect:
- Abundant natural light throughout ticketing, bag claim and the concourse
- Large, open spaces and high ceilings
- Easy-to-navigate security checkpoint with more lanes, located all on one level
- Dining and/or shopping pre-security
- All new shops and restaurants on the concourse
- Covered waiting areas outside the terminal for pick-up and drop-off
- Streamlined route for exiting the concourse, with a meet-and-greet area
Learn more about the Terminal 1 Modernization Project: